In 1943, Pablo P. Santayana decided to improve the productivity of his lands up north in Paysandú by using better pastures to enhance winter fattening as well as shorter distances to the markets. Thus the history of La Rábida starts. He bought a piece of land of the best quality at only 43,8 km from Montevideo in a place known as Costa del Tigre in San José, close to the town of Libertad. A mud hut, three ombúes and the peripheral fence were the only assets on the land.
Today we, third, fourth and fifth generations of the family, enjoy and work to maintain many years of effort that brought an Estancia with a modern and intensive production system to life.